Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Race For The Cure

As I mentioned earlier, I participated in The Race for the Cure in Pittsburgh on Mother's Day last Sunday. What a wonderful experience! To be a part of something so much bigger than waking up at 5:30am when I had to work the night before and didn't get home until 1am, dealing with temperatures in the low 40's and wind with the threat of rain, traffic, parking, not knowing where we're going, and 40,000 other people!

It was awesome.

I had a few emotional moments. I saw women without hair who are very obviously fighting this horrible cancer. I saw young children wearing "In Memory of" signs for their own mothers. I saw mothers wearing the same sign but for their own daughters.

But I saw hope. Survivors of ALL ages wearing bright pink survivor shirts. The fact that 40,000 people were there. That is a giant number of people! A few of my favorite signs or shirts:

"I survived cancer and all I got was a second chance at life"

"Yes my boobs are fake. My real ones tried to kill me"

"I survived breast cancer 25 years ago and didn't miss out on this (a picture of several of her grand children)

My friend Mary, was emotional at the end of the walk. Her mom would be so proud of her. Mary misses her mom. It was noted that the sun came out at the end of our walk and we all agreed that Linda had something to do with it.

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Race for the Cure
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Customize your own digital slideshow

No comments: