This Mother's Day will be a little different for me. Today will not just be about my mom (who has to work today - here's to a big tip day for her!!) or myself as a mom. Today will be about breast cancer.
A very good friend of mine, Mary, lost her mom last year to breast cancer. Linda died December 22, the day before Mary's 35th birthday and 3 days before Christmas.
Mary and I met in college and have m-a-n-y memories together. A favorite is when she became my Little in our honor fraternity, Phi Sigma Pi. Shortly after we graduated, I got an email that her mom was diagnosed with cancer. Over the next several long months, Mary would update me with her mom's chemo treatments... then radical double mastectomy. Prayers were answered when Linda was finally cancer-free. The milestones kept coming: 6-months, 1-year, 2-years, 5-years.... .
Linda turned 59 and celebrated being cancer-free for 10 years in the spring of 2009.
I got an email from Mary last October saying the cancer was back and this time it was everywhere. Emails again kept me in touch with my friend as she watched her mother lose the cancer battle. I attended Linda's funeral and was thankful to be there for the celebration of a wonderful mom.
In March I got an email from Mary saying she was putting a team together for the Pittsburgh's Race for the Cure 2010. I am so proud to be participating in it!
I have a feeling that emotions will overcome me several times throughout the day. Seeing my friend on such a happy/sad day and the 30+ team member all there walking for 'Linda's Legacy', the estimated 35,000 people participating for this one cause, the different color t-shirts for cancer survivors, the covered bald heads of those currently fighting, the young girls (mine included) who I pray a cure will be found so they won't have to fear, and the over 700 teams walking in memory of or in honor of a cancer victim.
Mother's Day has yet again been re-defined for me.
I am so lucky. My mom is still around. My mom loves me. My mom is quirky and I love her. I have 2 daughters who are mine and they love me. My only family experience with breast cancer is an aunt through marriage who is a survivor.
I am walking today for Linda and for Mary, but also for me, for my mom and for my daughters, and for Aunt Kathy!
1 comment:
Awesome Anita. Glad to see you had such a great Mother's day doing something so special!
Post a Comment