Thursday, April 22, 2010

Earth Day

Happy Earth Day!

I am amazed at how many pieces of paper my daughter brings home from school everyday. On average its 6 pieces of 8"x10" paper. That's 30 pieces a week or 1,200 pieces for one school year! There is 20 kids in her class and six 2nd grade classrooms..... you get the ugly picture.

We often use the other side for drawing or coloring but then I still hate to just throw it away.


On top of this, my nostalgic daughter wants to save every piece! Where would I put it all?! When I turned it over to her someday, would she want it?

I had to find a place that would recycle this kind of paper.

I take my newspapers to the Beaver County Humane Society where they us them to line the animals' cages. One day when was delivering my papers I saw a yellow and green dumpster. I looked closer and saw it said "Paper Retriever"

Paper Retriever Bins are places to recycle:

•Newspapers
•Magazines
•Mail
•School & Office Papers
•Catalogs
"Organizations use these funds for playground refurbishing, beautification
efforts, library enhancements, scholarships, field and mission trips, team
uniforms and many other worthwhile projects."

In this case, the Beaver County Humane Society uses it to help the animals. A win-win!

I cut off names and addresses and anything else I don't want anyone to see. Then, I have an old milk crate that takes a little over a month to fill with items for the paper retriever and I usually take it up the same time I take up my newspapers.

If you look around or checkout their website, Paper Retriever, you can find a paper retriever near you. I've seen them in parking lots of churches, schools, municipalities, libraries, stores and clubs. You can even go online to check their recycling history! Paper placed in the bins goes directly to papermills where it is turned into newsprint. I can then take it back to the Humane Society for the animals! A win-win-win!

To me, this is an easy solution. My daughter and I go through her school work and pick a few things to save for later but most of it goes into the milk crate for the Paper Retriever to "help the animals!"

No comments: