Sunday, April 19, 2009

Signs of Spring

This will be a fern someday...

As I've posted earlier, I am a big fan of winter. I love snow! But I have to admit I do enjoy spring and even I appreciate the awakening of the landscape.

We moved into our house 7 years ago in December. I made note of the several rough looking flower beds that would need attention. What a nice surprise in our first spring here to find flowers popping up everywhere from hidden bulbs! I thought of it as a gift from the couple who built and lived in our home the previous 40+ years.

I've since invested in the easiness of flower bulbs. I've dug up and replanted bulbs and bought dozens more. A little work one fall and that's it! Flowers will faithfully grow every spring. Easy-peasy! I honestly know nothing about these flowers and bushes other than they look pretty and are easy to grow.

My crocuses have come and gone already, but tulips and lilies are getting taller and ready to bloom. Irises are just getting started. The hens and chicks have recovered and look great yet again. I think I saw the bleeding heart breaking ground. Soon to come: ferns, daisies, hosta, peony, brodiaea, anemone, and alliums. Heck, even (the many!) dandelions make me smile (I didn't plant those).

We also used our grill last night to cook some burgers. First time this year!

Spring has sprung!

1 comment:

Linda said...

At our old house in PA, there was a tree right outside the window in the living room. Every Easter, no matter how cold or warm, Easter Lilies would come up right next to the tree. They were so beautiful and it always reminded me that spring was just about here. Wow, I really miss those lilies!!!