Big Ben Roethlisberger (2.7.06)
We got to the parade early to get a good spot near the beginning. The plan was to watch some of the parade then walk toward the end near the Pointe. It seemed the city wasn't prepared for 250,000 attendees. It was crazy! The sidewalks were 20 people deep. For some reason they didn't put up any crowd control railings so people were free to mob the cars carrying the players... and we did! You could go right up and shake their hands, touch the Lombardi Trophy, and get autographs. At one point I felt myself moving but my feet weren't touching the ground! Again, at least where we were standing, people were very respectful. The drivers had to go soooo slow to avoid running over any toes which meant more and more people could pack the roadway. By the time the parade got towards the end, the bands could not longer play or twirl their flags! People were hanging from lights and trees, and balconies were over flowing. But the mood was still upbeat and fun! I'll never forget it!
Jerome Bettis and The Lombardi Trophy (2.7.06)
We won't be going this year but my heart will be there. Randy can't miss work right now (he might stop by during his lunch though). I could go without him but it wouldn't be the same.
Believe it or not, there is a parade going in this crowd! (2.7.06)
This win seems different somehow anyway. I can't put my finger on it. Is it because 3 years ago we hadn't won a Super Bowl in such a long time? Or is it because winning Super Bowl XL wasn't suppose to happen (we had to win out the rest of the season and all playoff games were away)? There wasn't a feel good story this time like Jerome Bettis playing in his last chance for a Super Bowl ring in his hometown of Detroit. Honestly, I didn't want to play the Cardinals in the Super Bowl. I have great respect for Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm (Arizona's head coach and Offensive Line coach, both former Steeler coaches under Cowher) and Larry Fitzgerald WR who played at Pitt. I was rooting for Arizona in the playoffs but had an "Uh-oh" moment when I realized that's who we would have to play. And the end of the game!! To have the lead ripped away like that and then to have Ben connect with Santonio... my heart stopped beating for about 5 minutes.But of course I am happy and excited! Congratulations Steelers! Have fun to anyone lucky enough to be at the parade today!
I just turned on the parade coverage on tv and guess what? The parade route is about twice and long (to spread the people out) and those crowd control fences are up this year! Gee... I think the city is ready this time!
1 comment:
You know...I used to be friends with Ben. We met the first weekend of our freshman year at Miami University. Our groups of friends hung out the first and second weekends and then parted ways. He was pretty nice though. We gave him a hard time about how long his name was on his jersey! lol
Post a Comment