Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Happy 2nd Birthday, Lily!

Lily turned 2 on November 6th! We had a Sesame Street party for her. She's really taken to the whole Sesame Street thing, much more than Gina ever did. Lily gets so excited when she sees the show. She'll watch it for a few minutes then go off and do something else, then come back and watch more. I'm happy she does that instead of "zoning-out" in front of the tv, not moving.

When I was thinking of her party it seemed obvious to go with a Sesame Street theme. I quickly realized that a whole lot of money could be spent on things I would probably only use once! So I decided to incorporate the tv show with the food that was served. Instead of buying signs, I printed off free coloring pages and colored (with Gina's help). I think it all turned out fun and yummy! Here was the menu:

  • BIG BIRD CHICKEN - Ok, I admit, this was a little bit on the weird side. But if you know my kind of humor and of those around me, and remember that Lily is only 2 and doesn't really understand...
  • OSCAR THE GROUCH TRASH CAN SALAD - My mom had this old bucket she cleaned out (very, very well!) then she placed a bowl of salad in it.
  • COUNT VON COUNT SALAD DRESSINGS - The Count would have enjoyed counting all the different kinds available.
  • BARKLEY BROCCOLI CORNBREAD - I thought "Barkley" and "broccoli" sounded good together. Barkley isn't on the show anymore :(
  • GROVER'S BAKED BEANS - No real connection here... other than Super-Grover can fly and he has to get off the ground somehow... (again, I have a strange sense of humor...)
  • TELLY MONSTER'S TRIANGLE CRACKERS - Telly's favorite shape is the triangle so I cut cheese into triangles.
  • SNUFFY'S CRACKERS - Snuffy is brown and crackers are brown.
  • COOKIE MONSTER'S COOKIES - no explanation necessary
  • ELMO'S GOLDFISH (DOROTHY) - Elmo has a pet goldfish named Dorothy.
  • ABBY CADABBY / ZOE / ROSITA - juice boxes, pop, and ice.
  • BERT AND ERNIE CHIPS AND DIP - they both go together.

For favors: small rubber duckies (Ernie's favorite bath toy), alphabet post-its (Lily got an L, Gina got a G, and so on), Sesame Street cereal bars, and Sesame Street stickers.


The funny part is, Lily wasn't really in to the whole party thing! How typical! She didn't cry, she was just more into playing with her cousins and friends. She wouldn't wear her birthday crown my aunt got her last year (the number can be changed each year) but Gina and I snuck it on her on her actual birthday day. Later that night, instead of a cake (we didn't need a whole cake for the 4 of us when there is still giant bowls of Halloween candy sitting there) I bought donuts from Mac's. Mmmmm!




Happy Birthday Lily!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great party planning.

Those will be great family memories.

Stephanie

Paula said...

Happy birthday, Lily! Great ideas, Anita!

Linda said...

I can't believe she's two already. She was just a little thing when we met.
You did a great job with the party!
Happy Birthday Lily!