I had the previous post about our 10 year anniversary scheduled to post on September 11. As some may already know, Randy's grandfather passed away on September 10 after a courageous 3-month battle with cancer.
It wasn't hard to cancel our anniversary plans to go honor such a great man. After much thought and consideration we decided to not take the girls with us across state to attend the viewing and funeral. This allowed Randy and I to mourn and comfort each other during this difficult time. I missed my girls so much over the weekend but knew they were well taken care of. A friend of ours helped us sell our Toby Keith tickets so that wasn't a complete financial loss.
The viewing was packed full with so many family and friends. Pop was such a wonderful man and quite the "bull-shitter" so lots came to see him off. At the services on saturday, a woman from his church sang How Great Thou Art. I was so touched and comforted during her singing, knowing that Pop was now beside his Heavenly Father. Another touching moment was at the gravesite when a bugler played taps for Pop, a veteran of the US Navy during WWII.
Several people came up to us to wish us a Happy Anniversary. Some offered apologies that this was all happening at the same time. But Randy and I were able to find moments to ourselves even if it was just sundaes from Friendly's or just the two of us alone in front of the tv in the hotel room. After all, its not the celebration itself but who you celebrate with that's important.
Good-bye Pop. I will miss you. Thank you for all of your kindness.
2 comments:
I am very sorry for your loss.
You were faithful in praying for him. What a great post.
That is my favorite hymn from when I joined the church at 16 so the title peaked my interest.
Beautiful Anita!
Post a Comment